market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "logrock" <logrock AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:06:44 -0500

Title: RE: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

We sold heirloom tomatoes last year, and even though we are fairly small scale, we were very happy with the customer response.  The one comment that a customer made that sticks in my mind the most was I buy my regular tomatoes from her (another vendor selling hybrids) but I buy my special tomatoes from you. We sold all of our tomatoes at $3.00/lb, and had two comments the entire season about price.  (One of those still bought tomatoes on a weekly basis, and the other didnt buy anything from anyone and was never seen again.)  We had many repeat customers, and requests to hold some of those yellow pear tomatoes for me next week please!  We are growing 60 varieties this year, and we picked them mostly based on reports of high productivity and resistance to cracking.  We will see how that goes.  We can also report that we have made a number of purchases from TGS (Tomato Growers Supply) and Victory Seeds, and have been completely satisfied with the delivery, germination rate, and value.  Also, (and I apologize if it is uncouth to mention other forums again) we received many new varieties by trading seeds with the group on the tomato growing forum at GardenWeb.

Patty & Ron