market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:45:10 -0400

Jay,

Please don't generalize when you don't know what you are talking about. Which small town did you grow up in to get your experience about small towns?

My brothers and sisters and all their friends left the small town they grew up in, not because they watched television and liked what they saw, but because there weren't any jobs.

Small towns die, not because people want to live in LA, or NYC, or Denver, but because there aren't any jobs in the small towns anymore. The kids leave for the city when the finish school, not because of television, but because they can't find any work. Maybe if you want to be a tv writer or a copy editor you move to LA. But most people don't.

The demise of rural life is a direct result of government farm and development policy. There is plenty of documentation for this one. It's not 'competition'. More small farmers would not raise food prices (not that farmers receive much of the cost of food prices anyway).

Yes, European small towns are under the same pressure as American small towns, but it isn't TV. The only difference is the Europeans are doing a better job of defending their interests than American farmers.

Oh, and Jay, do you pay for the health care of the woman that comes in and cleans your apartment once a week? I hope so. (I found it very problematic for you to liken 'farmers' to walwart's criminal activity. Which farmer were you referring to?)
--