market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cooking in France

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cooking in France
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:04:24 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:18:59 -0500, Brigette Leach wrote:

> If I might add to the conversation...Europeans do have a different attitude
> toward food. It certainly plays a bigger role in their daily lives than
> ours (well most Americans, since our lives here at the farm revolve around
> food, literally and figuratively). Many of my European friends view
> Americans as "gluttons". And after having visited Europe and China, I
> understand why. I never saw one obese person in China, they eat much less
> and exercise much more. In Beijing, workers may ride their bicycle for 1.5
> hours to get to their workplace.

Politics and other cultural influences probably pay a big role
in Euroasian attitudes toward food. All political structures of
the Old World are based on monarchical and familial structures,
unlike the evolution of the New World in North America.

I don't know if the changed British political scene (ca. Magna Carta)
made food less important to Britons, or perhaps weather patterns
which limit what they are able to grow.

I do know that KoKo, the signing gorilla, has always stated that
the most important part of her day is feeding time.

If you don't have other things you enjoy or look forward to, you
are more likely to focus on food.

I think the average US citizen wants to do more than spend
a great deal of time thinking about food. When you are
not "hungry," in the context of deprivation, as most of us
are not, food is lower on your list of priorities.

Marketers have capitalized on people's interest in
being free to do more. Marketers have not pedalled
a "bill of goods" when it comes to making eating a
quicker experience.

You may not like it - - but it is true.

Help yourself by stressing how quickly fresh food
can be made edible. Don't try to convince folks
to become gourmet chefs. That's a losing proposition
for all but a few souls.

At least that's my $ 0.25 worth.

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:
http://jghelp.com/farming