market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] was cooking in France, now recipe book

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] was cooking in France, now recipe book
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:28:25 -0500

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:46:32 -0500, you wrote:

>One might ask permission from the publisher, to make CDs for those who
>already own the book. To make CDs for folks who don't own the book is
>flagrant copyright infringement, and probably inconsistent with our desire
>to be fairly compensated for the work that we do

>I assume that is part of your offer, but think it necessary to clarify this
>since this does go a broad list, some of whom may not pay attention to
>copyright, or "do unto others..."

While I would ordinarily agree with you and I would NEVER
violate someone else's copyright, I do not think you are
correct in the case of this one particular book.

This one particular book is expressly NOT copyright and
grants everyone at all permission to copy it at will -
that's what they WANT done.

------------------------------------
>From the book's website:

http://www.growingformarket.com/book-recipes.html

The book is designed so that you can take it to the copy
shop, make all the copies you want and have them cut down
into recipe cards. Copyright permission is specifically
granted in the front of the book so you can show it to
diligent clerks who ask about such things. The book is
spiral bound so it lays flat on the copy machine. There are
even trim marks for accurate cutting. You can either stamp
the back of the cards with your farm's name, or you can use
one of three templates included in the book to design your
own message that can be photocopied on the back of the
recipe pages.

In this one particular case, I would not feel a *need*,
therefore, to ask the publisher's permission although I
agree that it would be a courtesy and I would probably do so
for that reason.

They might even like to market the CDs on their website and
this could be mutually beneficial.

If you want to, you could go ahead and suggest it to the
publisher and maybe *they'll* do it, thus accomplishing the
same end result. For myself, I have no more time for this
until July or August.

Pat