market-farming - [Market-farming] cooking in France

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] cooking in France
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:22:24 EST

In a message dated 3/24/2004 5:49:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, cheselka AT freestateproject.org write
she found that she *couldn't* make the wonderful french food
becuase not only did some of the igredients not exist, but the quality
ingredients didn't exist either

That is an excellent point and I think it accounts for much of what we all do.

A couple of years ago, I spent 6 weeks in France in the spring, just got home in time to start picking beans.  We rented an apartment in Paris and a small house in Provence so we could cook with all the wonderful things we found in the markets.  It would take pages and pages to describe the joys.  It is absolutely true that the quality of the ingredients and the food system is light years ahead of the US.  And the diversity!  Most of their farms are like ours - many different vegetables, growing the year round as well as some livestock - goats, chickens.  I am doing what I can to introduce the veggies and the thinking to our customers.

If anybody wants to look into such a trip, we rented through

http://www.france.co.nz/

Renting a house made it inexpensive; we saved a bundle over hotel costs, plus the cost of eating out every meal.  It was so much fun cooking that we only ate out one dinner and a few lunches.
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm
Texas