market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:52:48 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, James H. Corey wrote:

> and like Robert said, rain happens, drought happens - things happen -
> you have to be prepared to have those years, you will have them. I feel
> that you already understand the rewards of farming, all everyone here is
> trying to say is just be prepared for the risks you face as well.
> Planning for the lower number is smart, and then when/if you make more -
> rejoice!

Right -- shoot high, aim low. I guess I'm maybe at an advantage due to
two things:

1. I can always fall back on my computer programming skills if
we need the cash. Getting work in the computer industry is
as easy as breathing.
2. I've monitored the weather in my area very carefully for about
a dozen years. While there are small variations, we tend to
not get the extremes that other parts of the country might
get. So becuase the weather is pretty predictable, steps
can be taken to minimize the risk. For instance, I'm growing
everything I can in row-cover tunnels. In the summertime,
it helps with the intense heat and light. During the monsoons,
it keeps the hail and heavy rain in check. During the winter,
it keeps the frost at bay.

I'm lucky to live in a pretty benign area of the country. Lots of
sunshine, lots of warmth. The only real problem is water, but at the
moment there's enough underground to take care of things if we don't get
our usual amounts. If I set up a rainwater collection system, even water
wouldn't be a problem anymore.

I appreciate the input and warnings. I'll certinaly be mindful of them as
I move forward.

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce