market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:10:21 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Liz Pike wrote:

> Ah Matt, don't take your toys & go home ; )) Expressing concerns from years
> of experience does not tally up to me saying it can't be done. I for one am
> here to say it can--I'm living proof. But you can get there alot faster
> listening to the voices of experience on this list.

I appreciate and admire more than you can imagine the experience on this
list, which's why it was very shocking to read what you wrote. However,
to "get there alot faster" is not at all what I'm interested in doing.
The money will come becuase I've got something that everyone needs. Sure
there's competition for their dollar, but that's part of the fun! IMO,
helping veggies to grow is an art, not a recipe that one can follow or a
set of production procedures to do step-by-step. And becuase it's an art,
each one of us will do it differently and in their own wonderfully unique
way. Each way is beautiful, too. Yes, there are painters (for example)
out there that crank out painting after painting and they make a good
living off of that -- but can you name any of them? Why not? Becuase
there's no beauty in cranking out painting after painting. Same goes for
veggies. Ah, but now I'm getting too philosophical again. If anyone
wants to continue this discussion off-list, I'd be happy to do so.

> If what I said serves as motivation or a challenge, at least the effort
> wasn't wasted. I want all farmers to succeed. I want this country saturated
> with successful market farmers earning a decent living from their land.

I'm already successful -- I'm growin' stuff and people are eatin' it!
"If you wanna view paradise, simply look around and view it!"

If there's any measure of "success" that I can aspire to, it's those
people in the book "Farmers of Fourty Centuries" (written by F H King in
1911). I don't think I've ever seen or heard of anything so beautiful as
that! Poetry and Art right there in the dirt!

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce