market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:11:57 -0800

Since I have decided to become an actual producing/selling farmer I will add
my not so humble opinion. The US and the world depends on energy products so
my husband will always have a job. YEAH RIGHT !!! After 25 years he was
part of down sizing/cost cutting "re-deployment" from a major oil company.
We took the lion's share of our retirement nest egg and paid cash for this
old ranch out in the boonies. We will always eat. I grew up poor and in the
country so I have the basic farming skills.
The USA is far more dependant on oil than computers. A good friend in the
computer business has just sold his house on the lake (in Washington state)
and his BMW and bought a farm because he knows his job is going overseas
soon. No one's job is secure anymore.

My opinion on the weather: I moved back to the USA from Indonesia recently.
I saw the rain forest burning during the drought. We are having global
climate change, period. It will affect us all. Keep an eye on water. T.
Boone Pickens, the corporate raider of the 80s, is buying up water rights in
Texas and selling water to other areas, putting ranchers and farmers out of
business. I have lived in the S. California desert. The aquifers in
California and Arizona are being lowered more every year. Farmers in
California's Imperial Valley are looking at serious water shortages and/or
higher prices
Off soapbox and back to seed starting

Margaret SW Oregon (where it is already warm and dry)