market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:41:41 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Liz Pike wrote:

> I seem to recall you were doing about 2900 sq ft this year?? And this is
> your first year growing??

It's about 6000 sq ft and I've been helping veggies grow since last
August.

> Don't sell your dream short, Matt. Don't be afraid to sell your customers
> on the value--real or perceived--of what you produce. It's fresher, it's
> healthy, it's local. There will always be someone cheaper than you. Don't
> let them break the back of your dream on the illusion of good value through
> cheap prices.

Obviously I've "talked too much". Something I promised myself I wouldn't
do. Your "can't be done" comments just make me all that more anxious to
find ways to make it work (and I believe I already have). I won't bother
to make any further arguments becuase it's not worth it to me to upset or
offend anyone else. All I'll say is that I totally agree that the "value"
of what I help produce has nothing to do with the price I set and it has
everything do with what you said above -- fresher, healthy, local, and I
can add "more variety" and "tastes better" and "you can see and talk to
the person who grew it".

My wholesaler, BTW, was *very* pleased with what I brought him today and
wants as much as I can get to him as often as I can. Not bad, IMO, for a
piddly little newbie operation. I got the prices I asked for, too, with
no argument.

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce