market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:05:38 -0500

Matt. There is nothing more dangerous than planning your future on a pocket
calculator on the kitchen table. Always write down all your possible options
in
crop types and yield, then calculate the highest lowest and in between income
you
think you can earn, always bet your money on the lowest number...

Matt, the best laid plans can run amuck...

Last year I had one of the best crops of all time then I had 41 days of rain
in a
row, I lost all my pumpkins, melons cukes, peppers,early and mid season
tomatoes.
This year I had to borrow money from the bank to pay the bills the lost crops
would have paid for, this means I have to grow twice as much of those crops
this
year to make up the loss, since I can not do that Im screwed. This happens
to all
farmers sooner or later its a part of the life we live and its the risk we all
take in exchange for the life we enjoy...Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.