market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing produce
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:15:54 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Willie McKemie wrote:

> I find that my grocery store customers care little about my price.
> Most will take my product at whatever price I ask. Yes, the mark-up is
> near 100%. However, if I price my product too high and my customer is
> not able to sell to his customers in sufficient volume, then I have a
> problem with repeat business or order size. My grocery store customers
> are very straight forward in discussing prices. I may ask them what
> they think is a reasonable price and I tell them what I think my costs
> are.

Willie, in your opinion, is it better for your customers to set the price
(based on whatever criteria they decide, like maybe what they're paying
other growers), or should *you* set the price and they can essentially
"take it or leave it"? I'd think that your customers have the buying
advantage here since if you won't supply the stuff they want, they can
probably find it elsewhere.

Matt