market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Flower Shares

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dorsey" <dorsey AT verizon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Flower Shares
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:57:49 -0400

We hand out a care sheet to each customer at the farmers' market. It covers
the basics: start with a clean vase, add flower preservative to the water,
re-cut stems at an angle, change the water in the vase every day, and pinch
or cut off blooms as they fade. At the bottom are a few other reminders:
Put the vase in a shaded area for part of each day, as hot sunny locations
will cause premature wilting & fading; a light misting with water in a spray
bottle can help revive wilted blooms; keep the water level high in the vase;
remove all leaves below the surface of the water, as they will decompose and
cause cloudiness and shortened vase life.
We bunch our mixed bouquets with rubber bands (not too tightly) in
clear
plastic bouquet sleeves (available at fairly low cost through wholesale
florists) that are open at the bottom. The bouquets are displayed in
5-gallon buckets. When a customer chooses a bouquet, we immediately put the
bottom into a plain, 1-gallon size plastic bag and secure loosley with
another rubber band. This helps retain some moisture and avoids drips on
the way home.
For our weekly bouquet delivery subscribers, we arrange the flowers
in a
clean mason jar filled with floral preservative. The jars are packed in
boxes with crumbled newspaper around them to avoid sloshing and spilling in
the van. The mason jars are an attractive enough "vase," especially for
those who prefer the "informal, country, cottage-garden look," until the
next week's delivery. (A decorative ribbon tied around the neck of the jar
pretties it up a bit, too.) Others can simply grab the flowers out of the
jar and place them in their own vase.
You might ask your shareholders to bring their own mason jars, or you
could
have a stash of them to recycle: give each customer one the first week and
ask them to return it, clean, each week when they come to pick up their next
bunch.
Hope this is of some help.

Lucia Dorsey
Dorian Hill Flower Farm