market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Basil
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:01:33 -0400

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 07:24:00 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm growing basil ("Italian Sweet") for the first time this year.
>An experienced basil grower was appalled when he discovered that I was
>rinsing the picked basil and packing it wet in plastic bags. Who has
>suggestions on handling harvested basil? I have some putting on flower
>heads; what do I do about that? Pick and discard? Or pick and sell?

1. Pick off the flower heads so it will make more leaves.
You can sell them - they don't get bitter or anything like
that, AFAIK. But if you let them seed, they won't make many
more leaves.

2. I treat basil as I would a bunch of flowers: put it in
a glass of water - preferably in the fridge if I have room.
I don't know if this is the best way or not.

When we go to the farmers' markets (next year), I figured on
taking bunches of basil in a jar of water. If there's a
better way, I'd be very interested to hear it also.

Pat