market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Basil
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:30:21 -0500

Thanks for all the basil tips! Synopsis:
1) cut seed/flower heads off
2) handle it gently
3) store it fairly dry
4) don't store it very cold

My walkin cooler, I keep at 35-40 deg, but I have an air conditioned
"tomato room" that is about 70 deg. I'll try the basil in the tomato
room. It is not practical for me to wash the basil before it is
picked, so I'll try to rinse it gently after picking and let it dry a
bit before I put it in bags. Maybe I'll rig a drying rack in the
tomato room.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html