market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Karen Sutherland" <ksutherland AT hampshire.edu>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Basil
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 12:21:55 -0400

Here in the tropics, I gently wash and even more gently shake dry
Italian Sweet and other types of basil, then leave them covered (usually
about 85 degrees ambient temperature) to "crisp up" for an hour or so,
before packaging in individual plastic bags (without ventilation holes)
for sale to individuals and a supermarket (which keeps them in a mild
open top refrigerator). The basil keeps in beautiful condition for well
over a week. Samples in my fridge still look fresh-picked after two
weeks. I think the key is getting them mostly dry via gentle handling
as any bruising will start the basil turning black, as will too cold a
fridge.

For market, I leave the gorgeous red/purple flower heads on Thai type
basils, but cut all but the smallest flower/seed stalks off other
varieties, depending on how attractive they are. If I can get to it
before harvesting, so much the better as the plants respond by setting
more leaves.

Best wishes,

Karen Sutherland
Roots Farm