market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dcimmarr AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Basil
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:58:23 EDT

Allan,
Depending on the cultivar basil can grow from very compact short plants like drawf bush basil  12" maybe to heights of 4 ft for anise basil. Harvesting basil can be done  a couple of months after setting plants outside. I think the most important thing is to use plants that are actively growing. Its best to keep terminal buds pinched off periodically to encourage branching and a bushier plant. Harvesting can be done weekly and any flower buds/heads that appear should be pinched back to maintain best flavor, and conmtinued production. I wouldnt recommend removing any more than the top half of the plant at any one time. Removing more than that amount puts stress on the plants and will slow production.
Good LUck,
Denise Cimmarrusti
Master Gardener
University of Illinois Extension