market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flower Shares

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Maggie" <snowbird AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flower Shares
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:08:34 -0400

The Flower Farmer reccomends the following: Recut the stems at an angle to
allow for the best water asorption; provide a preservative to increase vase
life; (homemade ones are available); advise the participent to wash vase
with a small amount of bleach to kill any old bacteria and to refreshen the
water each day. Bacteria can clog up the stems and prevent the water from
being absorbed. Be sure when you pick the flowers that you use plastic
buckers, metal can really deteriorate the shelf life, disenfect the cutters
with bleach and disenfect the bucket before using. Strip all leaves below
the water level both in the buckets and for the vases. Wholesale florists
will provide wrappers for the bouquets at a very inexpensive cost and it
will protect the flowers until they get them home.