market-farming - [Market-farming] new member

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: MEGAULT AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] new member
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:45:11 EDT

Hello everyone,

My name is Megan Ault, and I run a small market garden from my suburban back yard in Bozeman, Montana.  Bozeman is in zone 4, elevation 5,000 feet.  We are surrounded by mountains and are about an hour outside Yellowstone National Park.  Perhaps in part because Bozeman is a college town, there is a good Co-op here, and a strong demand for local and sustainably grown food.  Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately for me, there are not enough growers to fill the demand, so anything pulled from the ground is practically met by grabbing hands.

This time last summer I was working in an office thinking, "I wish I could be home with my boys, I wish I was in the garden."  I quit my job last September, and this season has been so exciting for me, because I'm able to be home with my three sons and am putting my acre of suburban sprawl to work, gradually tearing out lawn and replacing it with raised beds.  The growing area is currently around 3,000 square feet, with plans to increase by 1/3 this year.  I made my first sale a week ago; sold 5 pounds of Johnny's allstar gourmet lettuce mix, some chives and spinach to a local restaurant owned by a Chef's Collaborative member, who is dedicated to using local food.

I'm really feeling connected to the "growing world" via this list, and appreciate all that I am learning from you more experienced market growers.

Best,
Megan Ault
Mountainview Gardens

p.s. We are getting lots of rain here too, but it is a blessing because for the past few years we've had drought and forest fires.