market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New Member

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: ben AT longbeachorganic.org, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New Member
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:35:30 -0400

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 08:22:19 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Anything you guys could tell me to help would be awesome.

For an inspiring example, take a look here:

http://www.pathtofreedom.com/

Last year, I grew the following in containers:

collards
bok choy
Swiss chard
several varieties of lettuce
basil
tomatoes
beets
carrots
bell peppers
hot peppers

This year, I've grown the following in containers (in
addition to the plants listed above):

choy sum
baby bok choy
hon tsai tai
broccoli
mizuna
mibuna
komatsuna
fluffy-top Chinese cabbage
Vitaminna (a Japanese green)

You can grow anything in containers that you can grow in the
ground - assuming the container is large enough. You can
plant more intensively in containers as the soil will be
perfect, and there will be no competition from weeds etc.

I think you could probably grow lettuces, chard, and other
green leafy things on the shady side of your house, you
could certainly try it. Maybe herbs too. We've planted
rhubarb and gooseberries on the shady side of our house -
both are supposed to tolerate shade.

A Rubbermaid (or similar) storage tub (holds 22 gallons)
with holes drilled in the bottom will make a VERY LARGE
container. These are often on sale in discount stores,
maybe $2.99 or $3.99. Other storage containers can often be
cheaper than plant pots.

Pat