market-farming - [Market-farming] New Member

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Courtney McLeod" <cmcleod AT imscompany.com>
  • To: <Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] New Member
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:15:06 -0400

Hello!

My name is Courtney (my company’s name is Herb Thyme) and I am new to all this!!  So far since I joined yesterday, I have received so many emails from people.  It is great!  My boyfriend (Todd) and I live in Amish country in Northeast Ohio.  I have been a gardener all my life but am about to attempt doing this for a living.  We just put up a 14’ x 36’ hoop house in March.  That was interesting!  I suggest putting it up during a different season.  The Northeast of Ohio had a “typical” winter this year so we had to plow a few feet of snow off the spot we wanted to use!  It made for a lot of conversation!  Unfortunately, we didn’t put the house up soon enough to get the best jump on starting seeds.  But I did manage to start 15 flats in our heated mudroom.  I was on a mission and was going for it no matter what the house looked like!!  It was quite a success and I was quite pleased at the turn out considering what I had to work with!!!   My goal is to have bedding plants, perennials and some annuals to sell from our small farm and also at some local farm markets.  Not only will I have plants, I will have produce to boot!  Our garden is 6000 sq. feet and gives me a great opportunity to grow a variety of things.  Right now, we grow tomatoes (56 of them and I don’t even eat them!!!), peppers, green beans, sugar snap pea’s, sweet corn, 6 different kinds of squash, herbs, radishes, beets, carrots, potato’s, pumpkins, watermelon, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower and strawberries.  I will not be canning this year so I will have plenty of produce to sell.  My favorites are the tomatoes and peppers.  I am a jalapeno freak and enjoy trying many different varieties of things.  This year, I only have 6 kinds of peppers, but have 19 varieties of tomatoes!!  I range from Yellow Pear to Purple Krim in the tomatoes.  It will be interesting to see what sells and what does not.  At the moment I am working full time and gardening after work until I can’t see and also on the weekends.  I hope to make this my full time occupation next year.  Or at least only have to work part time until I can soul support myself with it.  It has been a dream of mine and can’t wait for it to take off.  We have had terrible weather this spring and it has prevented this dream from really starting!  It is June 5 and all we have been able to put in the ground is the sweet corn and sunflowers due to all the rain and cold temperatures.  My greenhouse is full and I need to empty it!

I am looking forward to hearing from everyone.  There is a lot for me to learn and am always open for idea’s!!

Thank you,

Courtney

Herb Thyme