market-farming - [Market-farming] new member

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bloomin51858 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] new member
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 23:21:59 EDT

Hello,
     My name is Debbie Byler.  We (our family of 4 children, 3 still at home, my husband and myself) grow 1 acre of flowers, about half in perennials.  About one-third are for drying for our business, and the rest  are commercial cut flowers that we sell to local florists.  The whole field is set up in raised beds with drip irrigation and we use horto-nova on almost everything.  We have come a long way in 17 years of being in business but learn lots and lots every year.  Our dried flower shop is a 20x30 foot 2-story "barn-shaped" building next to out house and has been open now for
10 years.  We hire high school students to help out in the summer and haul everything in a ford van(air-conditioned).  One of our specialties is Delphinium, another is Lisianthus, which we start from plugs.  Look forward to talking to you all again.             Debbie