market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:50:28 -0600

Jay Gee wrote:
> If you are just selling some hamburger like Wal-Mart, it is because
> your marketing has produced that kind of image for you.

What marketing? This was your statement criticizing our marketing. I assume
that you have read our web site (which is very similar to our brochure
handout) and find it lacking. Otherwise, how else could you know?

> If there is weak local demand for what you offer (see 1st paragraph above)
> and you are unwilling to pay for targeted media advertising that might
> reach prospects who are actually interested in what you offer, you erect
> a giant hurdle as far as consumer awareness is concerned.

I simply do not believe this is true based on the experiences of what others
have tried. I know of no small farms that succeeded in even getting their
money back from advertising. You are coming at this from a person who makes
his money (presumably) selling advertising to business people. Sometimes it
can be very effective for some businesses. For farms, I think you will have
a difficult time. What targeted media advertising are you recommending that
farmers do and what kind of costs would they likely incur?

> On the one hand, your posts bemoan the fact that you can't sell
> meat, even at $ 1/lb. discount, with a direct solicitation to your
> regular customers.

Your characterization of "bemoaning" is quite offensive. We are only trying
different advertising techniques and if it doesn't work, guess what ... it
doesn't work. I even pointed this out rather clearly in previous posts if
you recall.

> You describe this discount as a reward to
> your customers in order to help you clear old merchandise from
> your freezer.

No, you are the one with this "old merchandise" comment. We have an
imbalance (as usual) between our steaks and our roasts and ground beef. The
old stuff we have used primarily for ourselves and for some gifts etc. The
age of the product is all the same and we have a lot of meat in the fall
because we want to maintain high CLA/Omega 3 levels through til late spring.
Even then, any beef that we process in the early summer is going to be
relatively low in these nutrients and there is nothing anyone can do about
that in terms of grass access. Many small, grass based, direct market beef
farms only produce beef for the fall and only as pickups at the processor.
We are one of the few who actually sell it at the farm as well as larger
quantities for pickup at the plant.

> On the other hand, you seem unwilling to make trying your
> product a less risky venture for potential new customers.
> Not only must they drive to the farm to pick up, they must
> pay full price. Not very prospect-friendly, if you ask me.

> Uncertainty of quality is a very high hurdle. Do you offer
> a 100% satisfaction guarantee with full refund if not totally
> satisfied?

We always point out that if there are any problems or they are disatisfied,
we want to know. We have given replacement products for some roasts that
were less than perfect. We take them at their word. We also work with our
processor and now eliminate anything that is not a high quality steak or
roast and put it into ground beef. If there is any question, put it in the
ground beef.

> Of course I understand. What shipping options do you offer to
> those unwilling to make the trip? Does your advertising mention
> these options prominently?

Shipping is rarely done by direct farm marketers. We are no execption. There
may be some who might want to deal in upscale marketing of this type. There
would be a limited audience but if you had USDA inspected product, access to
dry ice, and access to shipping, it is possible to do. Rick Hopkins is the
only person that I know of who does this on a small scale. Maybe he can tell
us if this is a lucrative way to go. Maybe giving us a comparison between
his other marketing and shipping.

Maybe there are others here who have success with shipping beef, or other
meats and if so let's hear from you.

However, shipping food is NOT local food and goes against what we believe is
the right direction. It also only caters to a tiny subset of the population
with large disposable incomes. We try to reach out to everyone. And we have
customers who are from a broad range of incomes. There are people who buy
from us who could never buy "organic" type food due to the price difference
and they still have to limit what they buy from us since their incomes are
so tight.

> How many tourists do you think would be interested in buying
> a side of beef on their vacation and bringing it home in an
> unrefrigerated vehicle? How many have adequate cold storage
> capabilities or trunk space (luggage considered) to schlep
> home fifty to two hundred fifty pounds of beef?

Very few people buy a side or even a split half of beef in today's world,
whether they are vacationers or locals. We have had vacationers come to the
farm, do a farm visit, pick up 20 to 40 pounds of beef and put it in their
cooler to take home. It is VERY easy and practical for them to do this.

We arrange our packages as I have mentioned before, in just the right size
so that two of them are a friction fit in a typical Coleman 48 qt. cooler
and each package handles around 20 pounds. Because we freeze our beef
from -5 to -20 F, the beef can keep for a day or even two if necessary as
long as they don't open up the coolers once they are loaded. Ice would
actually warm things up:) And make a big mess. Ideally we would have dry
ice, but it is not an option.

Have any of you folks priced dry ice freezers? Pretty wild!

> Morality and scrupulous dealing are often partners
> with profitability. However, doing things known for
> not working is unlikely to fatten the bank account.

I know, but we are not like Enron and company. It is important for us to do
things that we feel good about.

> Rationalize your behavior in any way you like Rick.
> Feel free to doubt the veracity of my marketing advice
> when it makes you feel better. It really doesn't matter to
> me if you choose to ignore it.

Based on your comments, it would seem otherwise. But principles have to come
before the money. You just think differently than we do on that and it is
OK.

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce