market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming
  • Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 15:29:17 -0800 (PST)

Rick Williams wrote:

>Jay Gee wrote:
>> If you are just selling some hamburger like Wal-Mart, it is because
>> your marketing has produced that kind of image for you.

>What marketing? This was your statement criticizing our marketing. I assume
>that you have read our web site (which is very similar to our brochure
>handout) and find it lacking. Otherwise, how else could you know?

Yes, it's true. I visited your web site some time ago and found it
very lacking from a marketing assistance perspective. It did little
or nothing to inspire people to buy your beef.

>> If there is weak local demand for what you offer (see 1st paragraph above)
>> and you are unwilling to pay for targeted media advertising that might
>> reach prospects who are actually interested in what you offer, you erect
>> a giant hurdle as far as consumer awareness is concerned.

>I simply do not believe this is true based on the experiences of what others
>have tried. I know of no small farms that succeeded in even getting their
>money back from advertising. You are coming at this from a person who makes
>his money (presumably) selling advertising to business people. Sometimes it

Advertising can be effective for any business in search of customers.

>can be very effective for some businesses. For farms, I think you will have
>a difficult time. What targeted media advertising are you recommending that
>farmers do and what kind of costs would they likely incur?

Size is not the critical issue. Desire is, but it must be meshed with a
willingness to spend money as part of an ongoing campaign.

Most small businesses waste their ad budgets because they
are busy imitating the advertising of big companies.

I would not recommend any specific media to you without
revamping your current program first. There is no sense
driving traffic to a business or web site if the message is
inconsistent or likely to drive prospects away.

If you are seriously interested in using advertising to
improve your business, I would recommend that you
interview local advertising agencies until you find one
with a track record of success (long term clients who
rave about the money their advertising makes for them)
who is willing to develop and implement a program for
you and your business/farm.

>Shipping is rarely done by direct farm marketers. We are no execption. There
>may be some who might want to deal in upscale marketing of this type. There
>would be a limited audience but if you had USDA inspected product, access to
>dry ice, and access to shipping, it is possible to do. Rick Hopkins is the

Some of the largest agricultural enterprises started out as farmers
selling directly from the farm. Harry and David was one, Hickory
Farms was mail order before it moved into malls. There are
plenty of dairy farmers selling ultra high quality cheeses and
such this way. Sometimes it requires mail order, sometimes
opening a retail store. I've seen plenty of web site for beef
farmers as well.

>I know, but we are not like Enron and company.
> It is important for us to do
>things that we feel good about.

By all means, do so. But don't be surprised
or unhappy if things don't pick up and you
always experience the kinds of problems
you are sharing with us now.

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming