market-farming - [Market-farming] Jay Gee's ideal farm marketing approach and web site

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Jay Gee's ideal farm marketing approach and web site
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:00:02 -0600

Jay Gee wrote:
> Yes, it's true. I visited your web site some time ago and found it
> very lacking from a marketing assistance perspective. It did little
> or nothing to inspire people to buy your beef.

OK, if you can determine that the site is ineffective in marketing, can you
make suggestions for making an effective site?

> Advertising can be effective for any business in search of customers.

This is obvious, but the question is what kind of advertising. We all do
advertise in some way. Our farm uses brochures as a
way to let people know we are here and what we offer; then we have our farm
sign on a state highway which is becoming extremely well known by people in
the area based on the comments we are getting, even from former strangers;
naturally we are hoping for word of mouth but have not seen a lot of that;
finally, the other main avenue is from direct contact at the farmer's
markets. As I said before, we had almost no luck with getting buyers from
the nearby city when we were at the farmer's markets there since we could
not sell the product at the market, but with the local buyers it is much
better as you would expect and it is very significant that we can sell at
the local market.

> Most small businesses waste their ad budgets because they
> are busy imitating the advertising of big companies.

Could you describe what it is that small businesses do wrong?

> I would not recommend any specific media to you without
> revamping your current program first. There is no sense
> driving traffic to a business or web site if the message is
> inconsistent or likely to drive prospects away.

Why are you saying this? We have had a consistent message for two years that
is saying, here we are, here is what we have, and here is why you might want
this product.

What revamping of the current program needs to be done?

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce