market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming
  • Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 02:24:56 -0800 (PST)

Rick Williams wrote in part:

>You are of course right as usual as the marketing expert here. Not that many
>are interested in high CLA/Omega 3 products in our area. But it is
>interesting that we get criticized from those on this list who think our
>prices are too low, then we get criticized for delivering the product to the
>door, and now we are getting criticized for not even having a unique
>product. So we are "just" selling some hamburger like Wal-Mart in the eyes
>of the customer.

If you are just selling some hamburger like Wal-Mart, it is because
your marketing has produced that kind of image for you.

>What hurdles are we putting in front of people any different than other
>direct marketers? You completely lost me on that one. We want to sell local
>food and have said so many times. We do NOT exclude anyone who wants to come
>here to buy. We can not sell out of state anyway and could not ship out of
>state either. We luckily will be marketing at two farmer's markets this
>summer and if we do close to what we did at the end of last season, that
>ought to be quite good.

If there is weak local demand for what you offer (see 1st paragraph above)
and you are unwilling to pay for targeted media advertising that might
reach prospects who are actually interested in what you offer, you erect
a giant hurdle as far as consumer awareness is concerned.

Even a better mousetrap goes unsold without consumer awareness.

>We have NO problem with people not buying our product if they chose not to
>do so. In fact, they should NOT ever buy products they don't want. Where do
>you somehow see that we are expecting customers to bend to our desires. It
>is we who have been criticzed on this very list for doing this. What are we
>doing that is obstructionist to our customers in your mind?

On the one hand, your posts bemoan the fact that you can't sell
meat, even at $ 1/lb. discount, with a direct solicitation to your
regular customers. You describe this discount as a reward to
your customers in order to help you clear old merchandise from
your freezer.

Am I the only one who sees this as a problem?

On the other hand, you seem unwilling to make trying your
product a less risky venture for potential new customers.
Not only must they drive to the farm to pick up, they must
pay full price. Not very prospect-friendly, if you ask me.

Uncertainty of quality is a very high hurdle. Do you offer
a 100% satisfaction guarantee with full refund if not totally
satisfied?

>> Are there no two income families in Minnesota?
>> What reasonable person would burden their
>> spouse with a two hour round trip to buy some
>> steaks or roasts?

>Again, I will repeat what I said in previous posts. It only makes sense to
>me (and this has been proven out with actual experience) that customers may
>come from a long distance, such as from Minnesota or Illinios if, and only
>if, they are coming up for a mass buying or are here in the driftless area
>for a vacation trip or some other purpose. Do you understand what I am
>saying?

Of course I understand. What shipping options do you offer to
those unwilling to make the trip? Does your advertising mention
these options prominently?

>> What multitude of things are offered in your area to
>> justify to a city dweller leaving town and driving for
>> an hour? They are unlikely to come to the country
>> for the retail shopping...

>Again, I will repeat that our area has exceptional and rather spectacular
>vacation and tourist attractions. We are fortunate in that respect. It is
>ironic that in my lifetime, the area has gone from the second poorest county
>in Wisconsin, to an emerging craft, bed and breakfast, touring, fishing, and
>etc. area. And it is just starting to do this in the last two decades. And
>the reason that it was a poor area is also the same reason that it is now
>such an emerging tourist area.

How many tourists do you think would be interested in buying
a side of beef on their vacation and bringing it home in an
unrefrigerated vehicle? How many have adequate cold storage
capabilities or trunk space (luggage considered) to schlep
home fifty to two hundred fifty pounds of beef?

>Yes, moral scruples can get in the way of business. Imagine that! This
>separates us from those who are in it strictly for the money and we have to
>pay the price. But, and this is the important thing ... we are willing to do
>that.

Morality and scrupulous dealing are often partners
with profitability. However, doing things known for
not working is unlikely to fatten the bank account.

>I do not actually believe all the claims you make on marketing. Some maybe,
>some not. And some are not acceptable to me and are one of the reasons that
>we do it the way we think is the fair and proper way to do it. In other
>words, we do it the way that we would want to be treated.

Rationalize your behavior in any way you like Rick.
Feel free to doubt the veracity of my marketing advice
when it makes you feel better. It really doesn't matter to
me if you choose to ignore it.

Business people have been ignoring good advice on
the subjects of marketing and advertising, with proven
benefits to practitioners, for many years. They are often
the marginal players and loudest complainers. Those
who take it to heart and learn to master it rest easy, enjoy
profits, ride out hard times with minimal pain and understand
why they do.

I wish you luck with your new farmers markets this coming season.
Hopefully you will find lots of customers who see things your way.

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming