market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Jay Gee's ideal farm marketing approach and web site

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Jay Gee's ideal farm marketing approach and web site
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:26:57 -0600

Franklin wrote:
> Hi Rick...I've also wondered why a pro in the marketing
> business would be
> tight with any advice that might be helpful to fellow list
> members..:-) Also
> thought the comments were pretty vague..:-)

Why would a person who is a "pro" even be on the list with such an odd
attitude of acting like some kind of expert and when you finally call their
bluff, pffffttttt, nothing. Most people who have an expertise in something
and are on a list that is out of their expertise (such as farming), usually
want to help others and at the very least give constructive criticism, not
put people down and then claim that they actually are unable to help. It is
a bit odd.

We have no idea who Jay Gee even is. I have been on internet lists before
where it turns out that some people actually come in and post under
different assumed names. We had one guy who came in as three or possibly
four different people. Even including one character "Chief Red Cloud," and I
am not making this up. He was borderlined mentally ill though and he was one
of the few people I saw thrown off a list after threatening other farmer
list members. So you just never know.

The internet gives people a great deal of anonymity if they so choose. It is
not so easy for those of us who have actual farms and addresses and phone
numbers since it is easy to check out. Plus we have Paul Bransky on the
list, who is a major player in the organic movement in the midwest region of
the U.S. and we are often at the same farmer's market(s). Hard to hide:)

Next week we will be on a panel discussion on direct marketing and I
realized that I would never dare mention advice from someone like J.G. on
such a forum. Picture the question from the audience when you make a point
using corroborating information from such as source.

Audience memeber -- "OK, Rick and Judy, where did you get such information?"

"Well, see it was on the internet from some guy, err well we don't know
the gender for sure, but a person."

"What do you mean, you don't know the gender, can't you tell by their name."

"Gee, .... I mean J.G. is the ... the ... person's name ... well ....
he ... er ... she ...err ... it ... said that anyway."

"Now let me get this straight, you are going to use information from a
person that you don't know in person, you don't know their name, and you
don't even know what country they are from, much less if they even have any
actual knowledge of their field? That seems crazy on your part."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. It's my own fault as I kinda took them at
their word, but sometimes people are not what they seem to be."

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce