market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Greenhouse- milk jugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Greenhouse- milk jugs
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:18:41 -0500

Yes Marc, are there any trees out there on the Arkansas River besides some cottonwood with willow along the river? (I guess a hybrid popular or two that has been planted as a wind break). I remember when I lived out that way a forestry student saying there were 6 native trees in Colorado and 116 in Virginia. (my numbers might be a little off after recalling a 30 memory but generally right).

Out here in Virginia our oaks are having problems with gypsy moths (introduced by a scientist in Mass. looking for a silk substitute), acid rain is really decimating the oaks up in the park, and the long drought we've been having hasn't helped the stressed trees, but unlike eastern colorado or southern california, if I let my fields go for even two years they would be full of tree seedlings (pine, locust, popular, wild cherry, beech, etc). And once those were established the oaks would be following. Even the chestnut forest that was murdered almost a century ago by the imported blight is still growing from the old roots. Out my office window stand 100 ft tall popular trees with diameters of about 26 inches in what was a corn field 45 years ago. These weren't planted, they just grew wild.

We sure do have a large and diverse country.