market-farming - [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Errol Castens" <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:53:59 -0600

One of the things I'd like to see happen in our local farmers' market this
year is for growers to realize how important it is to charge prices that
reflect the value in their food and flowers. One back yard grower with a
shirttail full of produce or a few bouquets who undercuts everybody else
under the philosophy of "Oh, I'm not trying to make a profit -- I just enjoy
it!" can set other growers up for having to justify their more realistic
pricing long after the BYG has sold out and is back home under the air
conditioner. (Yeah, I've been a back yard grower, too.)

I'm not aiming at price fixing, just encouraging realistic (read
"profitable") pricing. We have the clientele to support it. Any ideas how we
can approach it -- perhaps while we do our preseason farm/garden visits? Any
specifics that we can "preach" at our growers?

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi
Zone 7b