market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:07:11 -0500

A--Why are back yard growers allowed to sell at the market in the first
place (by backyard, I mean someone who gardens and happens to have an
overabundance of any one thing, not a market gardener)?? I liked Willie's
idea of answering a questionnaire to establish their
"professionalism"--that's a good idea for all market vendors.

B--Why are back yard growers allowed to set up/leave shop when they want??
Most retail establishments with multi-vendors (malls, strip centers, etc)
demand that all stores keep the same hours...no closing early except by
special permission. At our market, the only acceptable reason a vendor
could leave early was if they sold out. If you left early, and still had
product, don't bother showing up next week because someone else from the
waiting list just stepped into your spot. Leaving early looks bad to
customers & reflects poorly on the other vendors. Customers want to see the
market full & active--whether they show up at 6 am or 3 pm.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com