market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] charging what the market will bear
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 15:58:49 -0500

I would stress that the farmer's market is a business and because the
farmer's market is a business all participants should be expected to be
professional. Actions such as under cutting other growers just because
one is not there to make a profit is unprofessional and hurts the market
by forcing the other growers who do need to make a profit to lower their
prices. If they have to lower prices too much they will find other
markets. she is being selfish if you ask me. it's nice she has enough
money not to have to make anything at market but she doesn't seem to
realize her impact on the market, especially after she goes home. sounds
like someone should tell her what she is doing and what her effect on
the rest of you is.

Of course you just need to market better than her. Give the market
customers the strong impression that because you make your living
growing food your food is of higher quality and therefore deserves a
higher price. There are always going to be cheapskates at any market
that want to pay nothing for the food you worked hard to grow. Photos of
your farm, a bulletin board set up with farm info, articles about
buying local, any on farm events you may be having, etc.. is very
helpful. It's amazing how many people will pay a higher price when they
understand why the price is higher. People who shop at farmer's market
do want to support local farmers, that is one reason they come there to shop.

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH
Boulder Belt Organics
Looking for local food? Check out
http://www.localharvest.org
We have, I fear, confused power with greatness
Stewart I. Udall