market-farming - Re: boots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "SisterSoap" <sisoap AT gwtc.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: boots
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:48:25 -0600

Debbie wrote - Where exactly in the Black Hills are you?<

I apologize if I haven't properly introduced myself. I thought I did..but
that was more than two days ago, I don't remember anything.
I grew up in Hot Springs. My great great grandfather was the first soldier
to sign the register at the South Dakota State Veterans Home, Thanksgiving
Day, November 25, 1890. Guess I'm a native <vbg>

We live couple of inches south of Wind Cave Nat'l Park :-)
5 miles north of Hot Springs.
Husband is a cowboy-moved-to-town when he and I married in 1985, ..one of
those true romantic stories. I was waitressing, he was cowboying, we met
in a bar, via friends...now he's a saddlemaker 'n I'm a soapmaker.
We have two young daughters. Two dogs..7 horses. Gonna add guineas this
spring. I'm hoping they'll help control the grasshopper population. I'm
thinking 'bout goats for milk (for my soap) and weed control.

> My dad grew up in Rapid City<

We moved to Rapid when my Grandad wouldn't sell my Dad the family plumbing
business and Dad was tired of driving the 60 miles everyday to work.
Rapid City has grown by leaps and bounds.
I left in 1981, moved to Wyoming, New Mexico..and then back to the Hills.
It's in my blood.. can't stay away <G>

<Rick wrote - in the fall of 95 to make the final decision. The land prices
were moderately high then at perhaps an average of $3000/acre from the
parcels we looked at. I recently was talking to some folks who said that
land prices were much higher than that now. I know that you can only buy
ribbons of land along roadways since the government owns practically
everything else. But then you don't have to worry about anyone buying behind
you:) And actually, I wonder if it is really less expensive to buy land
there because you only have to buy a small acreage to wind up with a lot of
frontage on the road.<

That's average prices from Custer north to Rapid City. I understand, the
North Slope (maybe it's the Front Range? :-) in Denver is filled, and folks
are moving this direction. Hot Springs and the Southern Black Hills is
where they are (supposedly) moving to.
We had a heck of a time finding anything, not in a subdivision and larger
than 5 acres. The closest we got, was 40 acres @ $2,000 an acre. We
finally found a small ranch, 325 acres.
Yes, the government owns a lot of the land. Personally, I don't mind as it
means nobody is living in our backyard. Having worked for the Forest
Service, and now the Black Hills V.A., I don't have a problem dealing with
gummint... the rest of my family does <G> makes for interesting family
gatherings..and we have quite a large family..LOL
We do not have highway frontage. We live 1.5 miles in off a highway. Makes
for interesting winter travels.

>The one downside would be the small market potential due to such a small
>population with really only Rapid being a modest potential. Are there other
>market farmers there too you know?<

Yes, that is a downside. I go to Rapid (60 miles North) for the Farmer's
Market. I heard they got a small market going in Custer this summer, it's
been too busy of a summer for me to investigate that..we also have a small
small market in Hot Springs. One family..sometimes two. Selling sweet
corn, eggs, jelly, rolls..sometimes sausage.
I do have a few market farmer friends. One guy in Hot Springs has two
vineyards, they are not in Hot Springs, but in neighboring towns, as the
land price in and very near H.S. is way high!
I have a friend in Black Hawk, she mostly sells canned goods, pickles,
jelly, salsa and cut flowers. Some tomatoes and cukes too..
Most of the market farmers come from north of Rapid.

>We have friends who live near Crazy Horse. You turn down the road opposite
from "The Fort". I wonder if that place is still in business:)<

dunno.. but, if there's any available land near Crazy Horse, I bet it is way
expensive!! :-)

gotta run. My kids are fighting so much, it's taken me an hour to type
this. Sorry I'm so long winded, and I'm not proofreading...
AND, I'm on my way to Brookings for a Direct Marketing Horticulture
workshop. http://sdces.sdstate.edu/ces_home/Marketing.htm
Wish this newbie luck finding my niche ! <G>

Rosie..Black Hills..South Dakota
http://www.sistersoap.com