market-farming - Re: organic tobacco questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "John M. Moser" <joma AT direcpc.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: organic tobacco questions
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:22:14 -0400

Liz,
I haven't raised tobacco in 25 years but here are a few thoughts.

> Do you prime it just like conventional crops??

Yes, unless it's a burley variety and as far as I know there's little of
that grown in your area.

> Is it taken to auction where the conventional crop is sold, or direct to
the
> buyer??

It would probably be sold direct the warehouse system of auction is fast
dying out.

> What about original log tobacco barns??

When everyone started changing over to the bulk barns the quality of the
tobacco really when downhill in my opinion, but it was a matter of economics
so most folks went that route.

Contact me back-channel and I'll see if I can remember a couple of folks
close to you that might be willing to talk to you.

John Moser
Fleetwood, NC