market-farming - Re: Farm Bureau

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farm Bureau
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:24:35 -0400

If wolves are killing pets, farm animals, children that suggests a
situation woefully out of balance. I'm not trying to be unsympathetic,
merely realistic.

The encroachment on wild territory - and the elimination of natural food
sources for predators - is much of the cause of the problem.

We may choose to look out for people and enterprise - but who is looking
out for the population with no voice? Gary Snyder makes this point
eloquently in his Pulitzer-price winning book of poems, Turtle Island.

It's not as simple as saying, "wolves eat people so we should protect
ourselves by shooting the wolves." What is required is an approach that
protects wolves and people too. It's not as simple as the rancher
wanting to protect his enterprise. He also must take responsibility for
the destruction - surely not his alone, but he is an active part of it -
which has created such a situation.

All hands - environmentalists and other activists, ranchers, and
government alike - must come to the table and create a solution to the
problem. Finger-pointing distributes blame but offers no solutions.

Rick, perhaps you might form such a Council out your way. Let's not
wait for government to act, people or pets to be eaten, farming
enterprises to suffer, ranchers to target eco-activists.

Why not invite all the stake-holders to a meeting - your place or
somewhere in common - and start to work through the various issues?

--
Robert Farr
The Chile Man

* A sustainable farm producing hot sauce marinades, salsas, mustards,
and barbecue.
* Subscribe to our online newsletter at http://www.thechileman.com
* Check out this article about us from The Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/food/A8659-2001Jul17.html
* Open Houses and Farm Tours throughout the year. See our web site for
details!