market-farming - Re: Farm Bureau

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farm Bureau
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:56:38 -0500

Del Williams wrote:
> Well based on that logic, then I ought to shoot my dogs.

Nowadays it is not legal to not have constant control over dogs. They can
not really be allowed to run free in many counties. This can vary with the
area you live.

> The sheep farmer down the road doesn't have the sense to protect his own
> stock.

Livestock in our area need to be controlled at all times as well. Even with
a legal fence you must still have them under your control since you are
liable if they get out of the perimeter and damage property or worse, cause
death or injury to people. However, domestic animals can not be allowed to
go on other people's property without their permission. For that matter,
neither can humans.

> When that dummy called me about my dog, I said shoot it... And btw, how do
> you keep the coyotes away from your livestock?

I am loath to kill other peoples domestic animals and we have not had anyone
with vicious dogs that would attack or even chase livestock but I am sure we
would have to take action if we got into that situation.

Coyotes are a problem for farmers with smaller animals such as sheep and
goats since they will kill them. Particularly during parturition since they
are so vulnerable then.

Things have changed dramatically even here in SW Wisconsin and coyotes are
getting to be ubiquitous no matter where you go. So much so, that we even
have seen them in daylight.

With our larger steers, they will act as a group and run toward the coyote
who thus far runs the other way. We have actually seen this happen. However,
this would not be so true of wolves. Especially, as they travel in packs.
Wolves are not compatible with farming and that is why they were eradicated
years ago. Reintroduction is a very irresponsible act if you are trying to
promote farming in an area. Especially if you are trying to promote small
family farms using grazing.

> He's always blaming someone's dog for his sheep dropping dead.

There would be some telltale evidence, don't you suppose:)

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers