market-farming - Re: Farm Bureau

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farm Bureau
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:17:14 -0500

paul and barb wrote:
> Again, no facts, just "somebody said", and "we expect" wolf
> problems, and
> "I suspect children will be attacked". It's fear mongering, plain as day.

I specifically discussed Janet McNally who is not just "somebody" but a
person who has intimate knowledge of the situation in Northern MN for sure.
She also has tried to work with so-called envirnomental groups and she has
been betrayed and has spoken out on this numerous times. There are not a lot
of other farmers left to speak out.

We know that wolves kill pets. They have done so at people's homes and have
done so in the filed numerous times. Are you suggesting this does not
happen? Are you suggesting that hunters have not been attacked by wolves?

It is a matter of time with high wolf populations that young children will
be attacked and/or killed. Only the most naive could believe otherwise. No
different than tigers killing people in India, etc. If you have wild
predators closeby you have to put up with this kind of problem.

Wolves travel in packs and are difficult to stop. As an example, Janet has
spent thousands upon thousands of dollars for electric fencing far and above
normal fencing requirements. Also, has attack llamas and attack donkeys.
Also has Great Pyrennes dogs which are one of the few breeds that can
withstand a wolf attack.

HOWEVER, and this is very important. One GP can not stop a wolf attack. She
has had many of her dogs killed on her farm by wolves folks. For those who
are not aware, it takes at least an equal number of GP on the premises as
there are wolves in the pack which attacks. Or else the wolves can easily
kill ALL the dogs. And they have done it to her.

You might laugh at her predicament but I sympathize with her greatly.
Especially considering that when she moved their a number of years ago she
was assured by MN DNR that wolves would not be a problem that far south.

> And, predictably, the same old anti-environmentalist slam "they often
> prefer no farming". Those are crude propaganda techniques, well worn with
> time, and no more convincing now. It's the corporate agenda showing here,
> seizing on a very minor issue and blowing it up into a monster to tar all
> those concerned with preserving our land and country as weirdo nut cases
> against farming.

Many environmental groups are very clear that they not only don't want
farming or ranching, but they also don't want people going into pristine
areas any more than necessary. This is fact.

I am not saying that "all those concerned with preserving our land and
country" are somehow weird. You are saying that.

Most farmers and ranchers are very concerned about these issues too. But
they are trying to make a living on the land. The so-called
environmentalists do not have that burden. That is a big difference.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers