market-farming - Re: Grass Fed Beef

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Grass Fed Beef
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:46:47 -0500

Our highlanders are generally bulls. They are born on pasture and stay out
on pasture
so they are not handled. They are trained to follow my husband from one
pasture section
to the next though! : ) Last year we had one highlander that was a slightly
older bull
and we were not pleased with the quality of that beef. Luckily it was not
sold but kept
back for us. We have been very pleased with the taste of the Jersey's (very
tender and
slightly sweet) although we have had raves from the folks who got the
highlanders too.
I think the key is in the timing and the age when butchered. If you get them
just as
they are coming off of prime pasture the quality should be very good but they
must still
be gaining weight. Our pastures are in very good condition which I would
think helps
too. I will ask my husband when he gets home if he would have anything to
add. He is
more knowledgeable on the cattle end of things. Hope this helps.
sue