market-farming - Re: Grass Fed Beef

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Grass Fed Beef
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:54:49 -0600

When I saw this thread, I called a friend who is an organic dairy fellow.
He and his wife are venturing out into beef, and have bought some Normandy
cattle. Do any of you know about them? They are apparently smaller, and
have a very high feed conversion rate, in addition to being very able to
adapt to varying types of forage.

Jill

> Sue, we raise Highlanders too, are all the ones you and your customers
have
> eaten so far steers? We've eaten two one full Highlander one 1/2
highlander
> 1/2 belted galloway, both bulls. Only tasted ok.
> We finally got around to making steers out of two calfs also highlander,
> galloway mix, think hubby is considering making a steer of a 3rd. Thanks
> Beth
>
> > We have been selling grass fed beef for several years now. We have used
> Scottish
> > Highlanders. This past year we supplemented our Highlanders with Jersey
> steers. The
> > cattle are taken in a little eariler than conventional beef so the
steaks
> etc. or not
> > huge but they are exceptionally tender. Our customers love it. Our web
> site is still
> > under construction at http://www.geocities/swtgrssfarm
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: jdt AT itol.com
leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/market-farming.faq