market-farming - Re: Grass Fed Beef

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Grass Fed Beef
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:05:25 -0500

We have found the key to tender meat is to be butchering when the beef
is still gaining from the pastures. We usually do this in late Oct. in
our area. We also take them in when they a little younger than
traditional -about 18 months I believe. I will need to check with my
husband because he handles the pasture management/cattle side of things
more than I do. I do the marketing of the beef. If the bull is more
mature and he has not been castrated I think that effects the taste and
texture of the meat. We do not castrate our highlanders and they do
fine as long as they are taken in on the early side like I mentioned.
Our last batch had hanging weights of around 400 lbs. for a whole. We
do not feed any grain to our beef. We grow hay from our pastures and
use that as winter feed. Joel Salatin's book 'Salad Bar Beef' is what
we used as a model for our farm. Hope this helps.
Sue Steiner
Sweetgrass Farm
Wadsworth, Ohio