market-farming - Re: Grass Fed Beef

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Grass Fed Beef
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:46:56 -0500

We have been selling grass fed beef for several years now. We have used
Scottish
Highlanders. This past year we supplemented our Highlanders with Jersey
steers. The
cattle are taken in a little eariler than conventional beef so the steaks
etc. or not
huge but they are exceptionally tender. Our customers love it. Our web site
is still
under construction at http://www.geocities/swtgrssfarm
Hopefully by next week I should have some pictures up. We direct market our
beef
although we have sold retail to health food stores but usually we sell out
before I need
to do that. I have never had a problem finding people interested in buying
our beef.
In fact I usually have to turn several people away each year because we sell
out. We
don't do a huge volume- this past year we sold 15. I don't want to do any
more volume
at this point. We also sell the pastured poultry and the same goes with
that- can't
keep up with the demand. We sell to restraurants and people who come here to
the farm.
This past year we sold maybe 500-600 chickens. I do not want to do any more
volume
there either at this point. Once people taste it they almost always come
back. If you
have any specific questions I will try to help you.
Sue Steiner
Sweetgrass Farm
Wadsworth, Ohio