market-farming - Re: Grass Fed Beef

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Grass Fed Beef
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:47:10 -0500

Marie I will ask you what I asked Sue (hope she has great answers) was the calf a bull or steer.  I read where bull meat is not as tasty as steer.  I read this after we'd eaten two bulls.  Beth
We bought a baby Brown Swiss bull from a nearby dairy a few years back.  We raised him on pasture and fed him some of our corn.  We had him butchered and the meat was extremely tough and the taste was not good.

We would like to raise our own "organic"  beef, but how do you make it taste good?  Is there a book?

Marie in Missouri