market-farming - Re: Grass Fed Beef

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Grass Fed Beef
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:20:56 -0500

We do not feed any grain but we do time it so the cows go in to be
butchered while they are still on good, prime pasture. One of the
things we have learned is the quality goes way down if they are not
still gaining weight from pasture. We have one that we were late in
getting in to be butchered this fall so now we have held off because
they lose condition thru the winter. Once they get on pasture in the
spring they plump right up and are fine so we will take that one in
then.
Sue Steiner
Sweetgrass Farm