market-farming - Re: Grass Fed Beef

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: UGARDEN AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Grass Fed Beef
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:30:53 EST

In a message dated 1/10/01 11:02:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
swtgrssfrm AT nls.net writes:

<<
have any specific questions I will try to help you.
Sue Steiner
Sweetgrass Farm
Wadsworth, Ohio

Dear Sue:

My husband and I are very interested in pastured poultry and would like to
add chickens and turkeys to our farm offerings. We are currently a certified
organic CSA and mainly do vegetables although we are branching out to include
flowers and eggs this spring. How do you process your birds? Do you do it on
farm? We can't find anybody locally to process poultry on a small scale and
are a bit squeamish about doing it ourselves. Any suggestions on how to get
started would be most appreciated. We have a chicken tractor and a small
flock of hens 50 birds but plan to add to that. We love the idea of using the
birds in rotation with the vegetable fields to help with fertility and insect
control.

Thanks for your time,

Sue Morris
Universal Garden Organic Farm