market-farming - Re: Making a living

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kevin Ancell" <kancell AT getonthe.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Making a living
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 20:42:43 -0600

Lawrence wrote:

> Who cares when they rob smaller businesses of their fair market share.
> Just watch, thanks to the NOP, multinational corporate agribusiness
> will take over 90% of organic production in the USA.
Kevin wrote:

If all of the wealthiest people and all of the mega corps where stripped of their money tomorrow would it:

1. Change your life much?
2. Change the lives or direction of the people who lose the money and power that money brings.

The answer is NO to # 1 and NO to number 2!

People by and large who have money possess the know how and most importantly the desire to make it. The Whorton School of business did a study in the 80's and revisited it during the 90's and found out that if you were to take the money from the wealthiest 10% and redistributed it to the other 90% the wealthiest 10% would have it all back in short order ( less than 36 months).

The reason for all this blather is... The NOP was quietly push by the multinational corps because the current Organic Certification was not business friendly as there was no national standard and many different Certification Groups. Standards are what is needed for business to operate within the framework of capitalism which provides shareholder value among other things.

Many agri-businesses are gearing up now that there is one national standard. Working within that standard the consumer will ultimately benefit due to accessibility and most importantly economies of scale that work in the favor of the consumer. A few people will suffer (as did the buggy whip makers when the automobile came out) if they don't adapt to the changes in the market place but by and large everyone will grow as the market grows and expands.

I currently have 26 acres in production and expanding to another state which is more favorable (great market) to organic producers. I have purchased some irrigated high altitude ground with water rights that has been out of production for about 20 years to raise organic garlic and other specialties. I started planning this during the last three years and now that the NOP has come about I am now investing with an eye to the future. While I am not a multi-national corp or big business I see the value the NOP has brought all of us.