market-farming - making a living

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Greta Kryger <greta.kryger AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: making a living
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:04:33 -0800

I have been catching up on all the e-mails about making a living on organic farming,
I just came back from visiting my parents in Denmark, where organic farmers get help from the gov. for the first 5 years. Now it will be something to at if they all stay with it after the 5 year period, because I heard a lot of them switched because of the help.
I am in Ontario Canada about 120 frost-free days a year and trying to make a living farming, because that is what I like to do, I have been growing organic vegetables for 10 years and work elsewhere 2 days a week, I had a 5 acre farm, had to sell it because the big neighbor farm changed owner and the new one was in to heavy spaying, and me being in the middle could not stay organic, now I am renting a piece of land to grow on- not ideal but at the time I was not able to find another farm.
I have a CSA for 30 families and they get produce from June to end of October. I also have a seed company, which keeps me busy in the winter season, I grow nearly all the seeds myself, and give me some income in the winter, I also have a couple of cook books on the go.
I think we -all small farmers- do what we have to so we can keep on doing what we like, even if it is an off farm job,and I dont think we really mind as long as we have both.
Keep up the dialog it is interesting reading
Greta Kryger
Greta's Organic Gardens
www.seeds-organic.com