market-farming - Making a living

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "pfarms" <pfarms AT alltel.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Making a living
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 21:05:07 -0600

In all of this discussion about value added, no one has mentioned looking at
the other materials that a farm generates. We had an old apple tree blown
down and during the clean up, we used a chop saw to cut the wood into
1-11/2" biscuits when we thought might be salable as a wood for smoking
meat. The local Lowe's has a pretty high price tag on 5# bags of mesquite.
We sold some in bundles of branches tied with raffia at the River Market in
Little Rock when we sold there. Unfortunately, their $20 /day charge on
Saturdays and $15/ day on Tuesdays and Thurdays requires a large volume to
cover the built in cost structure. Has anyone tried selling speciallized
wood for smoking meat?

Our local (17 miles) Farmers Market uses the county Fairgrounds and charges
$20/season as a service to the community. This market requires that you
live within 5 miles of the county and sell what you grow (no jobbers) and
allows no processed foods. We brought herbs and ran into a mixed reception.
The customers were happy and on some Saturdays (the only day we do market
due to other activities), the herbs made the day. Some vendors were
surprised but will be more surprised when we bring some bunches of flowers
next year. The Local extension office which oversees the program were
uncertain about herbs at the first but quickly changed when the saw the
reception.

Rich
Pfarms AT alltel.net