market-farming - Re: Making a living

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Making a living
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 18:16:44 -0500

And another thing!

My daughter (11) was telling me how weird I am last night at dinner.
While I agree with assessment on one level - I work at home for my small
marketing consulting business, I make hot sauce and salsa, and I grow
(peppers and more) on about an acre (we live on 10 - trying to figure
out what to do with the other nine!) - ergo, weird/different (and I even
grew up without computers!) - I disagreed on another.

As I told her, "at least I don't come home in some stiff-necked shirt
with a white collar, plop my briefcase down, take off my $500 suit and
change into a golf shirt, khakis, and calfskin leather shoes - then eat
a quick dinner, ignore my kids, and disappear into my "study" to do all
the work I brought home with me. I spend time with you and your brother
- and I know you."

The concept still makes her uncomfortable - her dad, staying at home and
playing in the dirt while her friends' dads all have "real" jobs and are
plugged into "society". But it made her think a while, I think. Hope I
can convince her taking care of the land and growing healthy, good
tasting food is really the *real* world -

--
Robert Farr
(540) 668-7160