market-farming - Re: Making a living

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Making a living
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:54:35 -0600

> I'll bite - any details about the "vision" ? I think we'd all like to be
> able to do those things AND make a living. Alison

Right, making a living is crucial, because we need some sort of sustenance
in order to work toward it.

The vision would include, for a start:
supplying our regions primarily with the foods that we grow, thus
cutting down on the costs of using petroleum products
knowing how to save seeds, and using that knowledge enhance the
viability of the seeds that we choose, so that they are suited to our
regional climates, in addition to our microclimates
seeds and seed selection again being done by individuals rather than
agribusiness - thus making seeds accessible to all
using supplies from other business people that are within that
region, and knowing that their manufacture included living wages for the
workers involved, products that are earth friendly in their production and
reuse/disintegration
having a trade/supply network with other regions for times of need
due to weather, etc.and for some degree of diversity
growers having control of the markets through cooperatives that grow
healthy food in healthy ways
use of additives or methods or any such thing to foods that poses any
risk ( not weighed against economic gain, but all by itself) being
prohibited until "seventh generation" type studies are conducted
non-sustainably grown foods being priced with all the hidden costs no
longer hidden, so that they are no longer cheaper than those grown in
healthy ways
valuing land for growing food so that taxes and land values do not
prohibit the availability of land near and within cities to provide
all community learning centers ( which will replace institutional
schools in my vision) include the growing of food and ways of sustenance in
their offerings
healthy food being affordable to all, not just those with more wealth
seeds, biodiversity, the earth, and our relationship to it all being
held sacred

also included in the vision are many of the things that you all have
mentioned : making food available to food pantries for those who need it,
internships and networking with community learning organizations for
labor/learning exchanges, local farmer market sales, being clever at
finding ways to sell seconds that would go to waste, etc.

Jill

> > ----------
> > From: Jill Taylor Bussiere[SMTP:jdt AT itol.com]
> >

> > Would it not be a good thing to have a vision and work toward that
vision
> > - a vision of how things could work so that those doing the _very_ hard
> > job of growing good food could continue to do so - and that more would
> > consider taking it on? A vision with sustainable methods and markets? A
> > vision that doesn't include the need to cater to those with higher
incomes
> > in order to make a moderate living? A vision of growing healthy food
for
> > all? Would it not be good to consider those that will follow us in
> > growing healthy food?
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > -farming.faq
> >

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: jdt AT itol.com
leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/market-farming.faq