market-farming - Re: Making a living-Lucy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Making a living-Lucy
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:10:31 -0500

Lucy,
You missed the point of my post. I wrote in asking someone how they turned
their farm
into a not-for profit/educational farm. I mentioned that one of the things
I enjoy
from my farm are growing and donating organic vegetables to the local food
bank and my
church. It is not because I can't sell it that I give it away. I do this
because it is
something I enjoy. If the truth be told I would love to give it all away-
that's why I
asked the not-for profit question! I mentioned a farm I came across on the
internet
that sells 'omega 3' eggs for 14.00 a doz. Yeah, I believe people can find
someone to
pay a fancy price for organic food but part of the enjoyment I get from this
farm is to
give back to my community by giving good food to people who may only be
recieving peanut
butter and boxed macroni and cheese to eat.
I realize that many farmers need to support themselves and deserve a
decent price for
their work. I know all of you work hard and I support you in your efforts.
I am glad
you are doing what you are doing. We need all the people we can get to do
this. What
would we be eating otherwise?
I wrote in my eariler post that I have young children. That is a factor
in how I
make my choices about this farm. We moved to this farm for the lifestyle but
there is a
fine line you can cross when the farm rules you (thats were the burn-out
comes in). I
have been trying to find the right balance for my family so that I can
continue to grow
and be the kind of mom I want to be. At another point in my life when my
kids are more
independent I may not feel the conflict I feel now. What I am dealing with
is more an
emotional issue than a financial one.
We have been selling certified organic veggies, pastured poultry, eggs,
grass fed beef
and lamb by direct marketing from our farm. This summer I got worn out from
the people
at the farm. I felt it was a drain on me and took away from my family. Still
processing what I am going to do for next summer and I am doing some of my
thinking out
loud on this e-mail loop.
Sue

  • Re: Making a living-Lucy, Sue, 01/09/2001