market-farming - Re: Help with irrigation and mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aaron Silverman <cgrowers AT pond.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Help with irrigation and mulch
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 00 11:07:17 -0800

We raise 5 acres of mixed produce, herbs, cut flowers & edible flowers -
all on drip. Located in Western Oregon, we receive scant precipitation
during the growing season, and must irrigate for all crops.

The mechanics of drip tape systems are very easy. There are several
options of tape, based on flow rates and emitter spacing (8", 12", 16",
etc.). The key to designing a system is to properly match the flow rate
of your well, the spacing of your crops, and the overall layout of the
field. Pressure is rarely an issue, as typically pressure regulators are
placed in line (our system runs at 12psi I believe). Duration of
irrigating will depend on the flow rate of the system,
evapo-transporation (e/t) rates of your soil & climate, and the crop
you're growing. Hi-flow systems will deliver more water per hour than
lo-flow, requiring a lower total running time to deliver the desired
level of water. All systems require filters, available in the standard
array of price & quality, and should have an anti-siphon fixture on the
line (cheap). Dripworks is a good source of information, although for
purchasing the system on the East Coast, Rain-flow may be a good choice
due to locality and reduced shipping.

Be aware that not all crops are equally suited to drip systems. Shallow
rooted greens, e.g. lettuce, often require constant available moisture
for optimal growth (or non-bittering). This can be tough if your area has
high e/t rates. Transplanting is also a tricky operation - aliums don't
do well transplanted in hot soil with drip tape, as their root area is
very small. We minimize transplant shock in the height of summer by
transplanting in the evening, giving plants 12-14 hours of cooler temps
to acclimate, running the irrigation overnight. Another drawback is that
unless you purchase and apply new tape each year, system setup and
breakdown requires significant time. Additionally, the lines must be
checked each irrigation to ensure they are tight and close to the plants,
even if staked with staples (another issue entirely). The exception to
this are in buried lines (potatoes), mature brassicas, and lines under
plastic mulch - the last two requiring a gentle tug at the end of the
line to straighten the whole bed out.

One of the main benefits of drip systems is the reduced weed pressure, at
least in areas that receive little or now rainfall. Our aisles require
only a couple cultivations through the season to keep them clean, and the
population of weeds that can thrive in the dry aisles is very limited.
For a variety of reasons, mainly soil temperatures, we choose to
cultivate in row rather than use mulch. Another benefit is the ability to
apply soluble fertilizers or compost teas, as well as parasitic
nematodes. I would suggest testing out the weed differences between
mulched and unmulched rows.

Aaron

Creative Growers
Aaron Silverman