market-farming - Re: Help with irrigation and mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Help with irrigation and mulch
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 05:17:22 -0800 (PST)

Rose,
Get the Drip Works catalogue. It is full of info your need to do irrigation
including how to calculate your well capacity. I believe the website is
dripworks.com. We are irrigating our 5 acres for the first time this season.
We are also on a well and don't anticipate any problems.

Mulch, I love straw mulch and have not had weed problems because of straw.
We use certified organic straw from a local grower we know (he also supplies
our chicken feed and hay). We used IRT mulch last year but for tomatoes I
will go back to straw. We will still use the plastic for early tomatoes,
eggplant, peppers, green beans and sweet corn but straw for tomatoes,
potatoes, leeks.
Don't use hay for mulch unless you want weeds as hay is just a mix of
grasses and legumes generally most with seed heads arttatched. Straw should
have few to no seedheads as it has been threshed before bailing. if the
field had a weed problem than you could have weeds but than again you can
break bales open before buying to see if they contain weeds-not all the
bales but a few samples. This is good if you are buying hay to see if there
is any mold buried in the bales.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA
New Paris, OH